Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Trooper units overlapping and overhanging obstacle terrain

Hello

In many of our games, both casual and in tournaments, there are discussions on how to treat certain terrain. For some units it can be game breaking if the rulings does not go in your favor. 
I would like some clarification on the rules of overlapping and overhanging for trooper units. 

From page 12 

"Fitting on terrain
When a trooper miniature’s base is overlapping a piece of obstacle terrain, it must be completely overlapping that terrain. Trooper miniatures cannot end a movement or be placed in a way that would cause their base to only partially overlap a piece of obstacle terrain and may not have any part of part of its base hanging off the terrain. Trooper miniatures cannot be deployed in a way where any part of their base is only partially overlapping a piece of obstacle terrain. "

Does this mean that you consider obstacle terrain as a whole with "a frame" treating every height level within as part of that one obstacle terrain? Which would then mean that you may overhang as long as it overhangs within "the frame" of the obstacle terrain.

I am providing two examples here (not the best drawings). One which by the wording, in blue, I would assume was legal. The other not because it overhangs "the frame" of the terrain.
Are they both not legal placements?

And just to add. If the terrain has small bits making placements being very uneven. Is angled placements legal? As long as the miniature is stable.

Thank you!

OverhangQuestion2.jpg

OverhangQuestion1.jpg

Hello,

7 hours ago, MaddaHaody said:

One which by the wording, in blue, I would assume was legal.

You are correct. In your first image, the 1.4 FD Laser Cannon (its spitting image!) is entirely overlapping the hill/cliffs (presumably obstacle terrain) upon which it is placed.

The other not because it overhangs "the frame" of the terrain.

Correct; in the second image, the 1.4 FD Laser Cannon is partially overlapping obstacle terrain, and this would not be a legal miniature placement.

If the terrain has some small bits making placements being very uneven. Is angled placements legal? As long as the miniature is stable.

It is permissible for a mini to not rest perfectly flat against the surface details of obstacle terrain, so long as it is stable and can rest unassisted in that position.

Hope this helps,
Seth

• Seth locked this topic