Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Not understanding the use of throwing

Hey all, hope this dose t sound too dumb. But can anyone explain the utility of throwing objects? Me and my girlfriend have played a couple of games so far, but haven’t seen the use of it, but so many characters have an ability to throw, it seems it should be important 

first it seems like very low damage...+1 of the objects size, that’s only 4 dice (3+1) for a thrown car, and most attack abilities do this much minimimum already

the power cost also seems like a negative, as it seems like you would be better served saving those points for an attack that does more damage, may have extra effects, or be a “builder” attack to get more power

then there’s placement. If I understand the rules, when you throw an object you throw it directly away. Meaning if Hulk is facing off against Spider-Man, and a car is to the Hulks right, that car can only be thrown to the right....if he wants to throw it at Spider-Man, he would need to position himself behind the car with it between him and his target.

Throwing may give the opportunity to reach a long distance foe, but in CP, even a “punch” has a pretty long range of “2” or “3”

The only thing I can figure is that as a “superpower” that doesn’t cost an action, it allows a free extra attack if you have the power to spend

(oh, btw, can normal characters throw objects without a power? Ie can captain America (for whatever reason) throw a size “1” trash can or fire hydrant?)

thanks in advance

On 8/26/2021 at 9:00 PM, Bathawk said:

first it seems like very low damage...+1 of the objects size, that’s only 4 dice (3+1) for a thrown car, and most attack abilities do this much minimimum already

Assuming you mean a car like one from the core box, which are size 2, it’s 3 damage. It is not a 3 dice attack. It’s a flat 3 damage that your opponent’s character has to roll dodge to avoid. 

then there’s placement. If I understand the rules, when you throw an object you throw it directly away. Meaning if Hulk is facing off against Spider-Man, and a car is to the Hulks right, that car can only be thrown to the right....if he wants to throw it at Spider-Man, he would need to position himself behind the car with it between him and his target.

You are correct that the throw will be away from the thrower, but when throwing terrain you never measure from the thrown terrain. You measure from the character performing the throw’s base. If you throw a character, measure from the thrown character’s base—not the thrower’s base. 

This may mean the character can grab terrain behind it to throw ahead of them. 

The only thing I can figure is that as a “superpower” that doesn’t cost an action, it allows a free extra attack if you have the power to spend

That’s correct, it does not require an action unless the superpower says it does. However, it is not an attack. It is a flat amount of damage your opponent has to attempt to avoid. 

oh, btw, can normal characters throw objects without a power? Ie can captain America (for whatever reason) throw a size “1” trash can or fire hydrant?

No they may not. The character must have a rule that allows a throw for them to be able to throw something. 

I have a follow-up question regarding the “throwing away” verbiage that’s being used here.  My understanding of Bathawk’s question regarding the direction of the throw was, “Do I have to throw the object/character in the direction it came from, relative to the character performing the throw?”  He mentions having to move behind the car in order to throw it in the direction he wants, since it’s currently to his right but Spiderman is not to his right.

My understanding is the answer to that question is “no”.  If the character is within range to grab and throw an object, the character may then throw it 360 degrees from their character base, whatever distance is permitted by that character’s throw.  Is that correct?  

Edited by LowTierSteve

• Thoras locked this topic