Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

collision when thrown off roof

Hi! So I had a weird edge case come up last night and neither me or my opponent were sure what the correct way to resolve it was. Here's the situation: Kingpin and Captain Marvel are on the roof of the NYC Apartment Building, She-Hulk is on the ground with her base right up against and touching the side of the building. My opponent activates Kingpin and uses Street-Level Negotiations to throw Captain Marvel medium and is able to position the movement tool so that it would cause a collision with She-Hulk except that Captain Marvel's base would still be on the roof of the building. Normally we probably would have hand waved away the thematic disconnect and said the collision occurs and Captain Marvel would be placed on the very edge of the building so that a top down view would make She-Hulk and Captain Marvel's bases appear to be in contact, but because of the lip of the roof on the apartment building Captain Marvel cannot be placed teetering on the edge. So because she can't be placed at the edge of the terrain and therefore couldn't be "in contact" with She-Hulk's base on the ground would a collision be able to occur here?

In the moment we thought a fair compromise was to throw Captain Marvel at a slightly different angle and place her on the ground near She-Hulk and have Captain Marvel take 1 damage as if she had suffered a collision (hitting the ground after being thrown off 3 stories seems like it should hurt a little), but have nothing happen to She-Hulk. Obviously that's not the correct outcome, but it seemed fair to both of us since neither knew what should have happened and we wanted to keep the game moving.

2 minutes ago, bionic.beth said:

So because she can't be placed at the edge of the terrain and therefore couldn't be "in contact" with She-Hulk's base on the ground would a collision be able to occur here?

Yes, a collision would occur.

When resolving the movement from a throw, the thrown character moves along the tool until it contacts a terrain feature or character which will trigger a collision. If the thrown character cannot fit in the location it would stop, it will move backwards long the tool until it reaches a place where it can land. In your case this is on top of the terrain feature at the last position it would fit and balance on without partially overlapping either terrain features or character bases.

Captain Marvel will take 1 damage and She-Hulk will have to roll dodge to avoid the incoming damage.