Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Clarification of Bob's "But HOW!?" power

Wanted to make sure I understand how the "But HOW!?" superpower on Bob, Agent of Hydra works.

So, let's say Bob already has 1 wound on him and 0 power. He is hit for 5 damage, which is obviously more than enough to KO him. The power kicks in and puts a dazed token on him, clearly.

(1) How many wound tokens should be on Bob at this point? How much power?

So then the cleanup phase rolls around and the power kicks in again to remove his dazed token and 3 power. He remains on his injured side.

(2) How many wound tokens does he have on him now? How much power?

Thank you!

Assuming he starts with 1 damage, he would suffer 2 damage (and gain two power, assuming the damage is from an enemy effect) because you cannot suffer damage that exceeds your Stamina. So he'd have 3 damage, 2 power, and gain a daze token instead of being KO'd per But HOW!?.

During the Cleanup Phase he would follow the normal rules for being Dazed: Remove all damage, special conditions and the Dazed token. Then instead of flipping his card to the Injured side, he'd lose 3 power. Because he has less than 3 power, he'd lose all power he has.

So he'd end up with no damage and no power.

If an injured Bob suffers enough damage to become KO'd during his own turn, does "But HOW!?" trigger to turn it into becoming dazed? Or is an activated token applied first, meaning that "But HOW!?" can't trigger?

I wanted to ask on this thread as well about the last line of But How!?  If, at any time, this is the only character you control, you lose the game.  Just so I am clear on "control" if Bob is the only person on my team and my other 3 team mates were all Dazed this turn would I then lose the game?

1 hour ago, nosferatupa said:

I wanted to ask on this thread as well about the last line of But How!?  If, at any time, this is the only character you control, you lose the game.  Just so I am clear on "control" if Bob is the only person on my team and my other 3 team mates were all Dazed this turn would I then lose the game?

You still control your dazed characters so you would not lose the game at that point. 

As I read it:

If he has a loaded token he can fire his rocket. If he fires his rocket launcher and isn't dazed, he would suffer 3 damage. But if he doesn't have an activation counter, INSTEAD he will not suffer the damage, he will only be dazed. He doesn't take fatal damage as long has he doesn't have an activation counter. If he's at 1 and takes 3, he doesn't take any. (If I'm wrong here, correct me.)

I looked it up, he doesn't get an activation counter until he has finished his actions. So when he is injured, he doesn't have an activation token at the time "But How?" checks. (Again, iIf I'm wrong here please correct me.)

So if he shoots his first loaded token, he goes to dazed. After that he has to somehow get 8 power so he can get another loaded token. The good news is, he can't be killed as long as he doesn't have an activation token. So, fire!, camp on an objective, then if you manage to get 8 power again, you can fire again. The only problem is, you do loose 3 power when "But how?" kicks in, so it will be hard to get that power if you are getting attacked.

Interesting abilities and mechanics. Indestructible Bob. Very true to Bob.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 12:19 PM, Zetan said:

If an injured Bob suffers enough damage to become KO'd during his own turn, does "But HOW!?" trigger to turn it into becoming dazed? Or is an activated token applied first, meaning that "But HOW!?" can't trigger?

It depends on if he has an Activated token when he would be dazed. Here are a couple examples.

If he shoots his rocket for either his first and second action and takes 3 damage, he ends up Dazed because he doesn’t have the activated token when he would be KO’d. 

If he would be KO’d after his second action in some way, he would have the Activated token already and But HOW!? would not save him.