Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Magnaguard - Protection Protocols

Hi, I have two questions about the Magnaguard Protection Protocols reactive ability and when I can and cannot trigger it. I understand that as per p. 11, they only get to resolve this ability once per turn anyway, but I feel there's currently multiple fringe circumstances where their ability to use it is unclear. I have already searched on here, but the existing ruling has added more confusion. I apologise in advance if these questions sounds combative or pedantic, as they're pretty specific, but that's certainly not my intent. Loving the game, but my local group is pretty stumped on these!

1. The wording says that Magnaguard can use Protection Protocols after a Separatist Alliance primary unit makes a move action. The existing ruling here...

...was that this does not trigger when, say, Count Dooku uses an action to Dash, because, to quote the ruling, "Protection protocol triggers off the listed unit type making a move action and being given a Dash is only being given a type of movement, not a full move action." Yet...there's no reference to a 'full move action' in the rules. There's an advance action, using the advance tool, but that's also a type of movement (p. 24, core rules), and the Magnaguard card doesn't make this stipulation. According to p. 16 of the rulebook, both the dash and advance measurers are 'movement tools.'

2. Can Protection Protocols trigger off Count Dooku resolving a Reposition option on his Combat Tree? Based on the existing ruling, that qualifies as a 'full move' - but does it count as a 'move action,' as I'm not spending one of Dooku's two actions to move.

3 hours ago, Compson said:

Yet...there's no reference to a 'full move action' in the rules

My apologies, the section causing the confusion has been edited to remove the word causing the issue. The "Full move action" was just a reference to "move action".

There's an advance action, using the advance tool, but that's also a type of movement (p. 24, core rules)

There actually isn't an advance action, the Bold entries on Page 24 are headings for the detailed explanations of movement types. From page 22, you can see the list of actions in the bottom right as bold entries.

Move, Focus, Combat, Ability, Recover, Take Cover.

2. Can Protection Protocols trigger off Count Dooku resolving a Reposition option on his Combat Tree? Based on the existing ruling, that qualifies as a 'full move' - but does it count as a 'move action,' as I'm not spending one of Dooku's two actions to move

It may not, no and would not qualify for the reference from the other ruling.

A move action is an action that allows that character to choose between an advance, dash or climb.

When you are granted an Advance through another rule (such as a reposition), you have only been given the opportunity for that single type of movement, you haven't been given a Move action(which would have allowed you the choice of the specific type of movement to make).

• Thoras locked this topic