Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

With the update previously in March to the Independent keyword, the rule states that you either gain the tokens OR perform the listed free action. This wording is what I have a few questions about:

1. Rebel Boba Fett has Independent: Standby. Due to this keyword not being numbered, my assumption is that he must take the free action RAW, instead of choosing between taking tokens or a free action. Is this assumption correct?

2. Can a player pop standbys off of Independent free actions? An example of this scenario would be myself playing rebel Boba Fett, and playing out a 3 pip while my opponent plays out Krennic's Deploy the Garrison and gives two standbys to units in standby range of Boba Fett. Would those two units given standbys by DtG be able to use their standbys off of an independent free action?

Hello there,

For reference, the Independent: Token X/Action keyword reads that an eligible unit "may gain X of the listed token(s) or perform the listed action as a free action." 

-------------------------------

11 hours ago, SpikedApples said:

1. Rebel Boba Fett has Independent: Standby. Due to this keyword not being numbered, my assumption is that he must take the free action RAW, instead of choosing between taking tokens or a free action. Is this assumption correct?

Your assumption is correct. Boba Fett, Daimyo of Mos Espa has the Independent: Standby keyword. As there is no "X", he will not gain X of the listed tokens; rather, he will perform a free standby action.

2. Can a player pop standbys off of Independent free actions?

Yes; a free action is an action and players will be eligible to spend standby tokens (among other things, such as using Detonate X) in response to such a free action.

An example of this scenario would be myself playing rebel Boba Fett, and playing out a 3 pip while my opponent plays out Krennic's Deploy the Garrison and gives two standbys to units in standby range of Boba Fett. Would those two units given standbys by DtG be able to use their standbys off of an independent free action?

Yes. In this circumstance, both players have effects that occur at the same time - Deploy the Garrison and Independent are both resolved "at the start of the Activation Phase." The player with priority will resolve their effects first; so the Imperial player will perform their free standby actions before Boba Fett performs his. If Boba Fett performs an action, including a free action, in range (by default, range 2) and LOS of an Imperial unit with a standby token, they may indeed spend the token to perform a free move action or free attack action.

Hope this helps,
Seth

• Seth locked this topic