Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Contesting/Securing

7 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Can you be R1 of an objective marker, a target of opportunity, and not be contesting it?

Only if there is some other special rule in effect.

7 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

In other words, if only 1 character is within R1 of the marker does it count as contesting, as well as securing?

Yes. A character within range 1 of an objective is contesting that objective  regardless of whether other characters are present and will allow its player to secure it.

Thanks for clearing it up. 

I was surprised I couldn't find anything else on this question, since by securing an objective, the contest for it becomes resolved. So, by definition, a secured objective is no longer being contested. At least until a new, contesting factor is introduced.

So I presume the contesting factor is merely a new round. Clean Up is a hiatus, during which hostilities pause and things may be briefly treated as safe :)

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

I was surprised I couldn't find anything else on this question, since by securing an objective, the contest for it becomes resolved. So, by definition, a secured objective is no longer being contested. At least until a new, contesting factor is introduced.

This sounds like you are introducing some external definitions. 

A character is Contesting an objective when it is within range one of the objective. By default, there are no other conditions or restrictions on this.

Contesting and Securing an objective are not mutually exclusive either. Even while a player is securing an objective, models are still contesting that objective.

59 minutes ago, Thoras said:

This sounds like you are introducing some external definitions. 

Well, my external definitions come from how the words are used when they're not being employed as game terms, lol.

But yes, I understand the complication that kind of thing can bring. Simple is better.

Thanks for your time.

• Thoras locked this topic