Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

No matter the cost timing

Hi,

So my play group had a question on "No matter the cost" and the timing of it.

So in a few games we have had different scenarios, where someone would in round one or late game use a spender. Instead of using power the card is used to pay for the full or partial cost of the attack, when they dont have the power to start said attack.

Example Captain Marvel uses rocket punch with a cost of 3 power but the charcter has a total of 1 can, they use the card when they dont have enough to announce using the attack to start with? In the timing chart it states " 1. Choose an attack ( you can't pick an attack if you can't pay its power cost)". I have been told and read that TTC break the rules, sure and thats fine, but if you cant get to the pay power step how can you reduce the power of the attack with it? Most of the confusion comes from the card stating reduce and not refunds.

Thank you for your time on this matter.

• 4 months later...

Hello, 

Since we just had the clarification regarding Red Skull, Master of the World superpower that while using powers from allied characters to use a spender Attack, I believe that until now we used No Matter the Cost incorrectly since the timing is the same I believe.

So now, can no matter the Cost be used only when you already have the Power to do a spender Attack basically by deciding to Save Power and instead pay health?

Edited by DOOM_SUPREME

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, Lord soth said:

Example Captain Marvel uses rocket punch with a cost of 3 power but the charcter has a total of 1 can, they use the card when they dont have enough to announce using the attack to start with? In the timing chart it states " 1. Choose an attack ( you can't pick an attack if you can't pay its power cost)". I have been told and read that TTC break the rules, sure and thats fine, but if you cant get to the pay power step how can you reduce the power of the attack with it? Most of the confusion comes from the card stating reduce and not refunds

No Matter the Cost should played at the start of Step 1 of an attack.

On 11/9/2023 at 3:46 AM, DOOM_SUPREME said:

So now, can no matter the Cost be used only when you already have the Power to do a spender Attack basically by deciding to Save Power and instead pay health?

No Matter the Cost is played at the start of Step 1 of an attack and thus does not have the same timing restrictions of Red Skulls Superpower.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:42 AM, Shane said:

Do you need to have the power to pay for the attack action before you play No Matter the Cost to reduce the power cost?

No, for the above reasons.