Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Skipping a Shove in an Option

Let's say you have three successes in a combat tree. Option one is one damage and a Shove. Option two is two damage and a Shove. Option three is two damage.

Can you apply all the damage from all three options, but do neither of the Shoves?

1 hour ago, Thoras said:

I believe this may answer your question 

Ah. I knew I'd seen something somewhere. Thanks, but unfortunately it's not clicking with me.

"Or, perhaps, Shove is a “must” that consists of a “may” Push and a “may” Pull?)

This is correct, yes."

If you "must" do the Shove, but "may" do either or both of the Push and Pull, couldn't you just say "I am required to do the Shove before going to the next option, but within that Shove, I chose to do neither part" thus making it actually completely optional?

Or to put it more clearly (for me anyway), can I move up the next option if I don't do at least one of the two parts of the Shove? At least either Push or Pull, but if I don't do at least one of the two, I cannot go to the next option?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 10:27 AM, Sleboda said:

If you "must" do the Shove, but "may" do either or both of the Push and Pull, couldn't you just say "I am required to do the Shove before going to the next option, but within that Shove, I chose to do neither part" thus making it actually completely optional?

Its not completely optional, no. A Shove will still have occurred even if you choose to do neither of the effects of the shove.

Consider a situation where something specifically triggered off of a shove occurring. That would trigger even if you opted to perform neither of its effects. This is why the distinction is potentially important.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:27 AM, Sleboda said:

Or to put it more clearly (for me anyway), can I move up the next option if I don't do at least one of the two parts of the Shove?

You may continue even if you choose to do neither of the effects.