Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Stormtrooper Sergeant - Inexorable Advance

Inexorable Advance - 

At the start of this Unit's activation, you may choose an allied Galactic Empire Supporting Unit. Each character in the chosen Unit may [Advance]. Then, if any characters [Advance], the chosen Unit suffers [Damage]

If Stormtrooper Sergeant uses this ability on a unit whose characters are engaged with an enemy character that is not wounded, would the friendly characters [Dash] instead of [Advance]? If so, would the friendly unit still suffer [Damage] if the only movements performed were [Dash]?

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, BadgerEnergy said:

If Stormtrooper Sergeant uses this ability on a unit whose characters are engaged with an enemy character that is not wounded, would the friendly characters [Dash] instead of [Advance]

Yes

On 12/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, BadgerEnergy said:

If so, would the friendly unit still suffer [Damage] if the only movements performed were [Dash]?

No. The damage is only suffered if one of the characters advanced.

I'm trying to understand why this is the case...

I would've thought the card would override the normal movement rules that the character would be able to advance regardless of engaged or not?  Then it doesn't get to bypass the damage?

As it looks with this answer, it's a bypass to the cost of the ability for a smaller benefit?

On 2/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, Anedae said:

I would've thought the card would override the normal movement rules that the character would be able to advance regardless of engaged or not?

Page 15 of the core rulebook speaks to this interaction.

When a rule that says something can happen conflicts with another saying it cannot, the cannot will take priority. The ability needs to provide permission to get around that core rule in order to override it.

• Thoras locked this topic