Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Close the Deal wounding the reserved unit

Hello,

Greef Karga's "Close the Deal" ability occurs "when an opposing player chooses to activate a Unit from reserve". Considering the "playing the game" section on page 21 of the CRB, this seems to align with step 2 of a turn. Step 3 is activating the unit. If the card that's in reserve gets wounded as a result of Close the Deal, would it be correct to say that character was wounded before their activation, and thus they would still activate, flip to injured, and continue their activation as normal? As opposed to ending the activation due to becoming wounded.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

If Greef Karga uses close the deal during step 2 of taking a turn and a unit doesn’t activate until step 3. Does that mean if a unit is wounded during/after step 2, that when the unit activates during step 3 it will flip its wounded token to injured and activate that turn as normal?

I character in reserve that has a Tactics ability and I chose to activate them. My opponent used Greef's Close the Deal and attacked them. If they're wounded during the attack, does that character's Tactics ability still resolve? Do other beginning of turn abilities resolve if a character is wounded by Close the Deal?

On 3/9/2024 at 5:40 AM, zeusjus said:

Greef Karga's "Close the Deal" ability occurs "when an opposing player chooses to activate a Unit from reserve". Considering the "playing the game" section on page 21 of the CRB, this seems to align with step 2 of a turn

This is correct

On 3/9/2024 at 5:40 AM, zeusjus said:

Step 3 is activating the unit. If the card that's in reserve gets wounded as a result of Close the Deal, would it be correct to say that character was wounded before their activation, and thus they would still activate, flip to injured, and continue their activation as normal?

Yes

On 5/15/2024 at 8:07 PM, TheUnseemlyOne said:

If Greef Karga uses close the deal during step 2 of taking a turn and a unit doesn’t activate until step 3. Does that mean if a unit is wounded during/after step 2, that when the unit activates during step 3 it will flip its wounded token to injured and activate that turn as normal?

Yes

On 5/15/2024 at 8:33 PM, SevenSeasAgo said:

I character in reserve that has a Tactics ability and I chose to activate them. My opponent used Greef's Close the Deal and attacked them. If they're wounded during the attack, does that character's Tactics ability still resolve?

This is a little too generic to answer for all situations, but as noted with the interactions above, they will not be wounded for their activation in this scenario. They will be wounded before they activate and then flip that token to injured at the start of their activation.

On 5/15/2024 at 8:33 PM, SevenSeasAgo said:

Do other beginning of turn abilities resolve if a character is wounded by Close the Deal?

Start of turn rules are different from Start of activation rules, so be careful with this. We'd need more specific examples to confirm anything else.

13 hours ago, desertspiral said:

If it's Rex can he use get a move on soldier on himself to get.out of 'range'?

No. From Appendix A...

Close the Deal occurs in Step 2 of "Taking a Turn"

Get a Move on Soldier occurs in Step 2c of "Activating a Unit", which is Step 4a of "Taking a Turn".