Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

When using an ingress point do I need to have my range 1 tool out to prove that I am placing in a legal position?

As a follow up does that mean I can use an ingress point place in a spot that should be within 1 while having my range 5 ruler out to place within range 5 of another model ?

I wish to move my model onto the ingress point.

Before going up I wish to measure what range 5 from the b1 looks like to position myself appropriately on top of the terrain.

As I get up the ingress I do need to confirm I am within range 1. Can I leave the range 5 out if I'm clearly placing in a spot that is within 1?

Or even if I am pretty much touching the ingress I still need to have my range 1 tool out to confirm I am within 1 and as such cannot have my range 5 out?

If after placing within 1 this way and then realizing I am not within 5 of the b1 can I place my 501st differently to be in range? Or would that be using a proxy base?

The below answers are based page 16 and page 37 of the core rulebook. Page 16 explains the use of the measuring tools, which require you to use the appropriate tool to measure between two items. In this case, the character and the portion of the terrain feature that has been designated as the ingress point.

Page 37 explains that when putting your character on the battlefield through the use of an ingress point, you must be within range 1 of the ingress point you are moving to. This tells us which measuring tool to use.

The game mechanics don't allow for a players ability to "eyeball" or "estimate" a distance. The only way you can prove you are meeting the measurement requirements is through the use of the measuring tools. It's impossible to put your character within a given distance unless the appropriate measuring tool is currently in use to prove you are within that distance.

On 5/22/2024 at 5:47 PM, MagikNik1337 said:

When using an ingress point do I need to have my range 1 tool out to prove that I am placing in a legal position?

Yes. From a game mechanics perspective, you can't prove that you are within a specific range without the use of the appropriate tool.

As a follow up does that mean I can use an ingress point place in a spot that should be within 1 while having my range 5 ruler out to place within range 5 of another model ?

From a game mechanics perspective, you can't prove that you are within a specific range without the use of the appropriate tool. When putting your character down as a result of the use of an ingress point, you need to be using the range 1 tool.

This means it is unavailable to measure other ranges until that movement is complete.

As I get up the ingress I do need to confirm I am within range 1. Can I leave the range 5 out if I'm clearly placing in a spot that is within 1?

The Range ruler would need to be used to measure the Range 1 from the ingress point, not the Range 5. You also shouldn't leave the range ruler in a position like this as you are effectively measuring two distances (or using two measuring tools) at once here.

Or even if I am pretty much touching the ingress I still need to have my range 1 tool out to confirm I am within 1 and as such cannot have my range 5 out?

You can't assume you are within range. From a game mechanics perspective, you can't prove you are within range 1 without measuring it. There is no allowance for assuming or "knowing" you are in range.

If after placing within 1 this way and then realizing I am not within 5 of the b1 can I place my 501st differently to be in range? Or would that be using a proxy base?

No, you couldn't move them. Not being within range of something other than the ingress point is not a rules reason that they would need to be moved.