Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Movement clarifications.

Considering the rules explicitly say that only one of each type of tool can be used as measuring devices at the same time. Is it possible to clarify some instances and what would break this rule.

For instance if I wish to move a model within 5 of another model

20240522_211747.thumb.jpg.35a2f32f1cbe6b1847747acad3e7c192.jpg

And as I try to get in range dont quite make it.

20240522_212126.thumb.jpg.e930c0aa51e71e66cc6ee5783988ddde.jpg

Can I then move somewhere else on the movement tool as it says in the rulebook that you can move your model anywhere on the movement tool?

Like this for instance or would this mean I am using a proxy base for measuring?

20240522_211805.thumb.jpg.27ec763b5e8a18182b81d697548da37b.jpg

If this is using a proxy base for measuring is it possible to clarify what the section on advance means when it says you can place anywhere as I see alot of people interpreting it as you can place your model somewhere and then go somewhere else entirely after while being able to visualize where the model would be by holding it in their hand.

like for instance am I allowed once I start my movement to change my decision as to where the model lands in this way?

20240522_212105.thumb.jpg.1d941a9a76c33b139c966fbbefeefdff.jpg20240522_212109.thumb.jpg.abbc06c9b127b92f927ae800216a0ca8.jpg20240522_212116.thumb.jpg.27835230988b7d8cd6aa16d4898430a9.jpg

A note to keep in mind

When evaluating the below answers, keep in mind that we exist in a physical, imprecise world and that we are coming together for the shared enjoyment of the game. The character isn't glued to the first spot it touches the table, small corrections within the Margin of Error rules (as found within the organized play documents) are acceptable.

Margin of Error

Characters are sometimes moved accidentally or placed inexactly during the normal course of the game. This is acceptable within a reasonable margin. Players must not abuse this margin of error, however, and they must use the components included with the game to help them be as accurate as possible.

The examples presented below appear to fall outside of a reasonable margin of error.

-----------------------------

On 5/23/2024 at 5:44 PM, MagikNik1337 said:

And as I try to get in range dont quite make it.

Can I then move somewhere else on the movement tool as it says in the rulebook that you can move your model anywhere on the movement tool?

You cannot move elsewhere.
Per the movement rules found on page 27-29, movement with the movement tools involves picking the character up and putting it down once, not multiple times. There would need to be a rules reason, such as the character not fitting or balancing(not an exhaustive list) to be able to move it.

Like this for instance or would this mean I am using a proxy base for measuring?

Moving the character after putting it down because it doesn't get in range of something isn't within the rules, as noted above.

There would need to be a mechanical reason such as the base not fitting or the character not balancing (not an exhaustive list).

If this is using a proxy base for measuring is it possible to clarify what the section on advance means when it says you can place anywhere as I see alot of people interpreting it as you can place your model somewhere and then go somewhere else entirely after while being able to visualize where the model would be by holding it in their hand

It defines the bounds in which the character may be put down. There is no permission to pick the character up and put it down multiple times because you are unsatisfied with the placement after seeing what the new board state looks like. 

Putting the character down and then picking it up again because it doesn't reach as far as you like would be both breaking the previously noted movement rules and using the base as a measuring device, which isn't an appropriate measuring tool as noted on page 16.

like for instance am I allowed once I start my movement to change my decision as to where the model lands in this way?

No, for the reasons stated above.