Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

How exactly does the Reality Gem work?

Regardless of where I'm at in the resolution of one of the types of dice rolls in the reality gem rules, one failure will always be treated as a critical, correct?

As an example

Say I have a model holding the Reality gem and I have access to both the King of Wakanda leadership and the Upgrades superpower provided by Shuri.

I roll three failures and two hits in my attack roll

The gem tells me to treat one of those failures as a critical, so I actually have two failures, two hits and a critical in my roll

I roll an additional die for the critical, giving me two failures, two hits, a critical and a wild

I then use the King of Wakanda Leadership and choose to re roll the failure that is being treated as a critical, which turns into a wild

This means I now have one failure, two hits, a critical and two wilds (because even though I don't actually have any dice showing the critical symbol, one failure is always treated as a critical)

I then use the Upgrades superpower to re roll the failure that is being treated as a critical, which turns into a wild

This means I now have zero failures, two hits, one critical and three wilds (again, even though at this point I have one die showing the failure symbol, its actually treated as a critical due to the gem)

How exactly does the Reality Gem work?

Regardless of where I'm at in the resolution of one of the types of dice rolls in the reality gem rules, one failure will always be treated as a critical, correct?

Correct

As an example

Say I have a model holding the Reality gem and I have access to both the King of Wakanda leadership and the Upgrades superpower provided by Shuri.

I roll three failures and two hits in my attack roll

The gem tells me to treat one of those failures as a critical, so I actually have two failures, two hits and a critical in my roll

I roll an additional die for the critical, giving me two failures, two hits, a critical and a wild

I then use the King of Wakanda Leadership and choose to re roll the failure that is being treated as a critical, which turns into a wild

This means I now have one failure, two hits, a critical and two wilds (because even though I don't actually have any dice showing the critical symbol, one failure is always treated as a critical)

I then use the Upgrades superpower to re roll the failure that is being treated as a critical, which turns into a wild

This means I now have zero failures, two hits, one critical and three wilds (again, even though at this point I have one die showing the failure symbol, its actually treated as a critical due to the gem)

Correct

• Thoras locked this topic