Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Mind Trick and abilities effecting the attack

Hello, 

If a unit has made a focus action, then a character in that unit goes to attack an enemy character and Obi-Wan Out of Hiding uses his Mind Trick ability, does that "negate" the additional die/dice of that focus action when the character has to choose a new target to attack? 

When Obi-Wan, out of hiding uses Mind Trick on a focused character, does the second attack targeting another character benefit from being focused or is the focused condition 'used up' in the first attack that ends? 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon,

If I use the ability "Vader's Fury", I add 2 damage icons to the attack pool of my next attack. If I attack a target within 3 of Obiwan, Out of hiding, and he uses "mind trick", what happens to the 2 damage icons for "Vader's Fury".

Do they:

1. Remain in the damage pool of the first attack, effectively wasted because the attack ends before they cause damage or

2. Apply to the replacement attack (which will be against another target, and with -2 dice) or

3. Something else

Thanks in advance,

Theo

Hi 

I have seen it posted that if you use Obi Wan Kenobi, Out of Hiding's Mind Trick ability, that the attack ends and the subsequent attack that the ability may grant is no longer considered a combat action (as its from Obi Wans effect) and benefits like Focus would not take affect, can you confirm if this is correct? 

Quote from posted source by another player:
"Anakin takes a combat action to declare a melee attack Fifth brother (Appendix A steps 1 and 2). Step 3B Obi Wan uses mind trick. Per Obis ability, the attack ends and thus combat action ends, all modifiers including focus are cleared."

If this is so, then would it also mean that other abilities like Deflect and Riposte would not work as this is not considered a range or melee attack and is a separate form of attack from Obi Wans Mind Trick ability? Does this also mean that Anakin could not trigger his I'm going to end this ability?

Thanks for your clarification. 

• Thoras changed the title to Mind Trick and abilities effecting the attack
On 7/13/2023 at 6:09 PM, Baconborne said:

Hello, 

If a unit has made a focus action, then a character in that unit goes to attack an enemy character and Obi-Wan Out of Hiding uses his Mind Trick ability, does that "negate" the additional die/dice of that focus action when the character has to choose a new target to attack? 

Yes.

On 7/24/2023 at 11:31 PM, Horeath said:

If I use the ability "Vader's Fury", I add 2 damage icons to the attack pool of my next attack. If I attack a target within 3 of Obiwan, Out of hiding, and he uses "mind trick", what happens to the 2 damage icons for "Vader's Fury".

Do they:

1. Remain in the damage pool of the first attack, effectively wasted because the attack ends before they cause damage or

2. Apply to the replacement attack (which will be against another target, and with -2 dice) or

3. Something else

The Damage from Vader's Fury is lost in this scenario.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:06 AM, SirSmashALot said:

I have seen it posted that if you use Obi Wan Kenobi, Out of Hiding's Mind Trick ability, that the attack ends and the subsequent attack that the ability may grant is no longer considered a combat action (as its from Obi Wans effect) and benefits like Focus would not take affect, can you confirm if this is correct? 

Quote from posted source by another player:
"Anakin takes a combat action to declare a melee attack Fifth brother (Appendix A steps 1 and 2). Step 3B Obi Wan uses mind trick. Per Obis ability, the attack ends and thus combat action ends, all modifiers including focus are cleared."

If this is so, then would it also mean that other abilities like Deflect and Riposte would not work as this is not considered a range or melee attack and is a separate form of attack from Obi Wans Mind Trick ability? Does this also mean that Anakin could not trigger his I'm going to end this ability?

The Combat Action does not end until after the second attack is made. 

Deflect and Riposte are usable against ranged and melee attacks, respectively. The attack granted by Mind Trick will be one of those and originate from the character that triggered Mind Trick.

After the Mind Trick attack, the Combat Action will end. General Anakin Skywalker could use his I'm Going to End This ability at this time.