Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Situation:

The ARF troopers are hunkered and suffer a ranged attack from Mother Talzin. The Nightsister Acolytes use 'Covering Fire: !' to cause the targeted ARF Troopers to become Exposed.

The dice are rolled and the ARF troopers roll 2 Expertise, 2 Blocks and a Failure.

The Question:

Does the added Expertise Result from 'Lay Low' still get to add 1 Block to the defense roll?

The Logic:

The effect of Exposed is described as thus: "While defending, characters in this Unit cannot use defense expertise (EXPERTISE) results. The next time a character in this Unit makes a defense roll, remove any Defense Dice with defense expertise results from the roll before modifying the dice rolls". This effect seems to happen in an ambigous step between steps 5 and 6 of the attack timing chart. The way Lay Low reads is that it occurs during step 6b. The statement "While defending, characters in this Unit cannot use defense expertise (EXPERTISE) results." seems to indicate that regardless if Expertise Results are added, you cannot use them while Exposed.

• 1 month later...

Ultimately, my question is if Lay Low and Tempered Aggression circumnavigate Exposed and Disarmed respectively.

1. At what point does Lay Low trigger? I assume Appendix A, 6.B.II as the ability adds a die result.

2. When does Exposed clear die results? I assume between 5 and 6 as the condition states [pg 35] "...before modifying the dice rolls"

A similar scenario is when Tempered Aggression rerolls dice while a Disarmed is on Mace Windu.

3. At what point does Tempered Aggression reroll dice?

4. At what point does Disarmed clear die results? Are rerolled die results not effected by Disarmed?

Edited by Axtium

• Thoras changed the title to Exposed/Disarmed timing

On 8/24/2023 at 7:34 PM, Axtium said:

1. At what point does Lay Low trigger? I assume Appendix A, 6.B.II as the ability adds a die result.

Lay Low adds the result in 6.b.ii, yes.

2. When does Exposed clear die results? I assume between 5 and 6 as the condition states [pg 35] "...before modifying the dice rolls"

The results are removed at the Start of Step 6, yes.

3. At what point does Tempered Aggression reroll dice?

The dice are reolled in 6ai

4. At what point does Disarmed clear die results? Are rerolled die results not effected by Disarmed?

The results are removed at the Start of Step 6.

On 7/19/2023 at 5:27 PM, Tirend said:

The effect of Exposed is described as thus: "While defending, characters in this Unit cannot use defense expertise (EXPERTISE) results. The next time a character in this Unit makes a defense roll, remove any Defense Dice with defense expertise results from the roll before modifying the dice rolls". This effect seems to happen in an ambigous step between steps 5 and 6 of the attack timing chart. The way Lay Low reads is that it occurs during step 6b. The statement "While defending, characters in this Unit cannot use defense expertise (EXPERTISE) results." seems to indicate that regardless if Expertise Results are added, you cannot use them while Exposed.

The first sentence of Disarmed and Exposed are more of a narrative description of the rules than instructions on how to implement the rules. This means if an expertise result is added during the modify step of an attack, the character will be able to make use of that result.