Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Triggers and Treats As/Counts As (with My Cabal is Only For the Strong)

As far as I can tell, this hasn't come up in all of the threads I could find regarding Malekith's Cloak of Shadows, etc. Forgive me if it has. I'm pretty certain I can infer the answer from previous ones, but I'd rather get it clarified.

Looking at the new Skull Leadership, which is essentially the Reality Gem / Probability Manipulation / Cloak of Shadows, it allows you to treat a Failure as a Critical. I know from previous rulings that this is a Critical in all rules aspects (such as Pierce, Grand Illusion, etc), but does that Critical also satisfy the conditions for a trigger, such as the Reality Rupture trigger on Reality Bows to Me! ? I have seen rules answers that specify triggers are based on what's rolled on the dice, but I'm not sure if that's a more general answer that doesn't take this into account. Just to throw two conflict scenarios to really illustrate the point:

• Red Skull uses the Reality Rupture attack. He rolls a Failure, Wild and Hit. Using the leadership, he treats his Failure as a Critical. He explodes his Critical, and also triggers Reality Rupture (which requires Critical-Wild-Hit) or;
  • Crossbones uses the Plasma Beam attack. He rolls a Wild and a Failure. Using the leadership, he treats his Failure as a Critical. He explodes his Critical, and also triggers Pierce (which requires Failure-Wild).

Thanks.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:28 PM, fryiee said:

does that Critical also satisfy the conditions for a trigger, such as the Reality Rupture trigger on Reality Bows to Me! ?

If it is being treated as a critical at the time the rule in question is checking for dice results, it counts as a critical towards triggering the ability.

Red Skull uses the Reality Bows to me attack. He rolls a Failure, Wild and Hit. Using the leadership, he treats his Failure as a Critical. He explodes his Critical, and also triggers Reality Rupture (which requires Critical-Wild-Hit

Yes, the critical will count towards the critical wild hit requirement here.

Crossbones uses the Plasma Beam attack. He rolls a Wild and a Failure. Using the leadership, he treats his Failure as a Critical. He explodes his Critical, and also triggers Pierce (which requires Failure-Wild)

He no longer has a failure in his roll in this scenario.