Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Hello there! This evening I played a rather interesting tense game, in which there was a lot of hand-to-hand combat. Of course, there were some cases, the legality of which I would like to clarify, just in case.

First, Anakin, Rex and Phase II Clone Troopers with Fives got stuck in the squad of Snowtroopers. Example in the picture. As you can see, Fives has a standby token. When snowtroopers activate, their first action is to dodge. Fives spends his standby token and performs an attack action, defeating one snowtrooper. The core rule book says the following: Removing miniatures in melee. When miniatures in melee are defeated, space may be created for the attacking miniatures to advance. After the attack is resolved, starting with the attacking player, each player must place any friendly miniatures that are no longer in base contact with miniatures in the enemy unit into base contact with the enemy unit. The rules of cohesion must still be followed during these placements.   If, for any reason, miniatures cannot be placed back into base contact with an enemy miniature and none of the miniatures belonging to that unit are in base contact with an enemy miniature, those miniatures do not move and that unit is no longer in melee.

Do I understand correctly, based on the description, that Fives’ squad moves the remaining clones into base contact with the survived snowtrooper unit leader, because he was the attacking unit, thereby freeing Rex from engagement?

image.thumb.png.614813f5d7d4820b67f1d4c2715e4049.png

Second, can Anakin do a force push by moving the snowtrooper carrying the hostage just a little so that the snowtrooper remains engaged with Fives, while freeing Anakin from the engagement? If I understand correctly, this snowtrooper doesn't start melee combat because he's already in it, but I'm still not sure about that.

Hi there,

On 4/4/2024 at 5:02 PM, AlexGrace said:

As you can see, Fives has a standby token. When snowtroopers activate, their first action is to dodge. Fives spends his standby token and performs an attack action, defeating one snowtrooper.

(...)

Do I understand correctly, based on the description, that Fives’ squad moves the remaining clones into base contact with the survived snowtrooper unit leader, because he was the attacking unit, thereby freeing Rex from engagement?

You are correct. Beginning with the attacking player (in this case, the player controlling the Phase II Clone Troopers who just performed a free attack action using a standby token), players place any miniatures no longer in base contact with miniatures in the enemy unit into base contact with the enemy unit. These can be any miniatures controlled by the attacking player.

In your example, if the Phase II Clone Troopers occupy all available space that Clone Captain Rex cannot be placed into base contact, then Clone Captain Rex will no longer be in melee.

-------------------------------------------

On 4/4/2024 at 5:02 PM, AlexGrace said:

Second, can Anakin do a force push by moving the snowtrooper carrying the hostage just a little so that the snowtrooper remains engaged with Fives, while freeing Anakin from the engagement?

A unit with a Hostage upgrade card may not move into melee.

Hope this helps,
Seth

• Seth locked this topic