Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Can you choose not to ready an upgrade card when you have the ability to do so?

Say for example, I have an Acclamator equipped with Swivel-Mounted Batteries and used its effect to marked the front hull zone. Then in the status phase the ship has an unused Concentrate Fire token. Can I choose not to ready Swivel-Mounted Batteries and save the token for next round?

And if the Acclamator is also equipped with Assault Proton Torpedo, can I choose, out of insanity of course, not to ready APT (which has a recur icon) during the status phase?

You can find this answer in the Star Wars: Armada Rules Reference in the topic "Readied".
Relevant part bolded.

• While an upgrade card that is not marked with the Recur icon or Non-Recur icon is exhausted, that card is treated as if it has the Recur icon and is readied during the Status Phase.

◊ This includes upgrade cards printed prior to the introduction of the Galactic Republic and Separatist Alliance factions, which are not marked with either icon.

Also in the "Upgrade Card" topic,

• Upgrade cards are readied during the Status Phase.

Also in the "Status Phase" topic,

During this phase, the players ready all of their exhausted defense tokens by flipping them to their readied side. They also ready all of their exhausted upgrade cards by rotating them 90° counterclockwise. Then, the first player flips the initiative token to its other side.

in the "Ready Cost" topic,

◊ Command icons: The owning player can pay the cost by spending the indicated number of each type of token shown.

An Upgrade Card that does not have a ready cost, is readied during the Status Phase. A player must ready an Upgrade Card that does not have a ready cost unless otherwise prevented.
Upgrade Cards that have a ready cost are optional to be chosen to pay the cost to ready them. A player is not forced to ready them if they do not wish to do so.