Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Tactics Cards with character names - who spends the Power?

I am new. I am reading through the team-up cards and with the different wording on each one, I'm not sure who is intended to spend the power. Different wordings include:

- COSMIC INVIGORATION: "If Red Skull is within 2 of another allied character with an Activation token, they may spend 2 power each to play this card." This uses the word "each" which tells me for sure, both Red Skull and the other model must spend 2 power (net 4) to play this card. Compare to the next one - 

- TO ASH AND CINDER: "A the start of the Activation Phase, Sin or Crossbones may spend 2 power to play this card." Since this uses the word "or", I read this to mean either / or, but not both. These 2 interpretations make sense to me, but then we get to - 

- ILLICIT TECH: "During Crossbones' or Sin's activation, they may spend 1 power to play this card." I interpret the word "they" to mean the BOTH must spend 1 power (net 2) for this card to be played. But it doesn't use the word "each" or the word "or" as in the above 2 cards, so I am confused.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, regleant said:

COSMIC INVIGORATION: "If Red Skull is within 2 of another allied character with an Activation token, they may spend 2 power each to play this card." This uses the word "each" which tells me for sure, both Red Skull and the other model must spend 2 power (net 4) to play this card. Compare to the next one

Correct

TO ASH AND CINDER: "A the start of the Activation Phase, Sin or Crossbones may spend 2 power to play this card." Since this uses the word "or", I read this to mean either / or, but not both.

Correct

ILLICIT TECH: "During Crossbones' or Sin's activation, they may spend 1 power to play this card." I interpret the word "they" to mean the BOTH must spend 1 power (net 2) for this card to be played. But it doesn't use the word "each" or the word "or" as in the above 2 cards, so I am confused.

The use of "they" in this case is a generic term used to indicate either character, so it functions in the same way as To Ash and Cinder. Either character will pay the power, but only one of them. It's basically equivalent to saying "During Crossbones' or Sin's activation, the activating character may spend..."

The difference between phrasing of this card when compared to To Ash and Cinder is a matter of timing. You will never have two characters activating at the same time, so its understood it can only apply to whichever one is activating. To Ash and Cinder though, that timing isn't specific to either character, so its phrased more explicitly.