Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

What are the exact mechanics behind how "But HOW!?" functions in regards to the second sentence?

"During the Cleanup Phase, when you would normally flip this character's card as a result of a Dazed token, it remains on its injured side and this character loses 3 power"

We know from other interactions, a special rule has to very specifically override a general rule in order to take precedence

- For example, "re-roll all" type rules not allowing the re-roll of skulls without a separate rule allowing interaction with skulls

- We know Field Dressing can remove the dazed token because it specifically references the interaction, overriding the base rules that say dazed models can't be effected by special rules

I'm unsure of how to apply those precedents to "But HOW!?" though.

It does specifically reference the flip interaction, so it would seem to be able to interact with the dazed rules.

However since dazed models don't have super powers, the rule doesn't actually exist on the model. I would think based on the precedence of other situations, the power would need to specifically say the character still has this super power while dazed.

The only way I can potentially see that it works is that during the cleanup phase, you remove the dazed token before flipping the character. So does that mean its not dazed at that point in time, meaning it regains the super power and the rule can come into effect?

On 3/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, Thoras said:

The only way I can potentially see that it works is that during the cleanup phase, you remove the dazed token before flipping the character. So does that mean its not dazed at that point in time, meaning it regains the super power and the rule can come into effect?

This is the correct rationale. Generally speaking, when effects are listed out, they resolve in the order written. That allows But HOW!? to turn back on before Bob’s card would flip.