Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Anakin Skywalker "I'm going to end this" timing when receiving damage from a reactive ability

Situation: Anakin Skywalker with 9 damage assigned to him performs a combat action, choosing to do a melee attack targeting Asajj Ventris.

Anakin's attack roll contains a failure in it and does some damage to Asajj. During step 10d, Asajj uses Riposte to deal 2 damage to Anakin.

Question: Can Anakin then still use "I'm going to end this" even though he is now in a wounded state once the combat action completes which ends his activation?

• Thoras changed the title to Anakin Skywalker "I'm going to end this" timing when receiving damage from a reactive ability

Anakins ability „I‘m going to end this“ can be used after „this unit makes a combat action“.

In step 10 of making an attack all effects that happens after the attack are resolved.

Is Anakins ability used in Step 10 C, cause it is after the effect?

Can it be used after the whole sequential of the attack is finished, because it does not trigger „after the attack“ but after the „combat action“?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, Tirend said:

Question: Can Anakin then still use "I'm going to end this" even though he is now in a wounded state once the combat action completes which ends his activation?

I’m Going to End This is used in step 10C, before Asajj Ventress, Sith Assassin can use her Riposte in 10D. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, Tirend said:

Situation: Anakin Skywalker with 9 damage assigned to him performs a combat action, choosing to do a melee attack targeting Asajj Ventris.

Anakin's attack roll contains a failure in it and does some damage to Asajj. During step 10d, Asajj uses Riposte to deal 2 damage to Anakin.

The above ruling is changing. 

When an effect triggers "after this Unit makes a combat action" it will occur after the Combat action is complete which puts it outside of the attack timing chart. This allows Asajj Ventress, Sith Assassin to Riposte in step 10D of the attack timing before General Anakin Skywalker can use I'm Going to End This.

When an effect triggers ""after a Unit makes an attack as part of a combat action" it will resolve during the attack timing--step 10C.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 1:09 AM, ScottyB said:

Since the ability happens outside of the timing chart, can Anakin ability be used later in his activation?
Ie.  First action attack,second action move, then trigger "I'm going to end this"

No, this wouldn't be valid.

Rules that are reactive to specific events need to be used in the window that the rule specifies its used in, which in this case is the end of the combat action.

Performing a move would mean you have passed the "after this unit makes a combat action" timing window.

On 6/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, Tirend said:

Would the updated timing of this ruling

now mean that General Anakin cannot use 'I'm Going to End This' after the Combat Action is complete because he is now wounded?

It does not.

When a Unit's activation ends pre-emptively on account of that Unit becoming Wounded during their activation, they forfeit any of the remaining actions they have as the activating Unit and cannot use any further Active abilities. Their Innate and Reactive abilities can still be used as normal, unless otherwise stated

"I'm going to end this" is a reactive ability and could still be used in response to the combat action ending.

• Thoras unlocked this topic