Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Reality Gem and Rerolls

Some wording on a previous ruling is confusing. For counting failure (skull) results as criticals for the Reality Gem, is each reroll step considered a separate chance to count a failure as a critical?

Example:

Thanos (w/ Reality Gem) rolls 6 dice, resulting in 3 hits, a blank, and 2 failure. The failure is immediately turned into a crit and an extra die is rolled, resulting in a blank.

Witty Banter is used on ASM, rerolling the hit into a failure.

My question is:

a. Does the failure generated by Witty Banter count as a critical along with the original failure, resulting in 5 total successes.

b. Does the reality gem only count a single failure result from the finalized dice pool as a critical, resulting in 4 total successes

13 hours ago, phowell0820 said:

Some wording on a previous ruling is confusing. For counting failure (skull) results as criticals for the Reality Gem, is each reroll step considered a separate chance to count a failure as a critical?

Yes

13 hours ago, phowell0820 said:

My question is:

a. Does the failure generated by Witty Banter count as a critical along with the original failure, resulting in 5 total successes.

b. Does the reality gem only count a single failure result from the finalized dice pool as a critical, resulting in 4 total successes

Neither situation

The Reality gem counts a single failure result from the current(not finalized) dice pool as a critical.

Pretend instead that your situation was this

Thanos (w/ Reality Gem) rolls 6 dice, resulting in 3 hits, a blank, and 2 failure. The failure is immediately turned into a crit and an extra die is rolled, resulting in a blank.

Amazing Spider-Man chooses to use Witty Banter to reroll the failure being treated as a critical (which he can do because its a critical for all game purposes).

This rerolls into a blank.

The Reality Gem effect would then occur, changing the other failure into a Critical result. You don't get another die for this, as we've passed that step, but it will now count as a success on the attack.

So you end up with 3 hits, 3 blanks , 1 critical (physical die showing a failure)

I think I understand, but I'm still unclear on one thing.

In your example, what would happen if instead Witty Banter rerolled one of the hits into a failure? Finalized physical dice pool is now 2 hits, 2 blanks, 3 failures (with one of these failures being treated as a critical from the initial roll)

11 minutes ago, phowell0820 said:

I think I understand, but I'm still unclear on one thing.

In your example, what would happen if instead Witty Banter rerolled one of the hits into a failure? Finalized physical dice pool is now 2 hits, 2 blanks, 3 failures (with one of these failures being treated as a critical from the initial roll)

In this scenario you have three successes, 2 Hits and 1 Critical.