Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Sacrifice and how it interacts with Taskmaster's defensive tech?

Say a character declares a beam attack that can affect 3 characters, Nick Jr, Taskmaster and Bucky.

First off I need to understand how the beam attack sequence actually plays out, is it;

A- All three are selected as targets in step 2a of the attack chart?

OR

B- The attack chart breaks off into three different instances (one for each character) so the attacker then goes to step 2a for target 1, resolve the attack for that character, then come back around to step 2a for the second target, so on and so forth?

Once the above gets clarified I then need to understand when exactly I am allowed to play Sacrifice

In scenario A, I am allowed to play Sacrifice during step 2d. after all three characters have been targeted simultaneously correct?

In scenario B, I have to wait until the character I want to sacrifice for becomes the target of the beam attack and then play Sacrifice during that attacks' step 2d correct?

Now for the doozey of a question,

Both Photographic Reflexes  and Intuitive Pattern Recognition stipulate that "If the attacker has already targeted (Step 2a) this character with an attack this turn..." and " has already targeted (Step 2a) this character with an attack this turn..." respectively.

Does this mean that using Sacrifice to redirect an attack onto Taskmaster would;

in Scenario A, assuming the Sacrifice attack resolves before any other, does Photographic Reflexes get to roll 6 dice instead of 4 and did Pattern Recognition get to add 2 dice to the defense roll?

in Scenario B, assuming targets were in the following order 1-Nick Jr. 2-Taskmaster 3-Bucky, Sacrifice redirects Nick's attack to Taskmaster but since he hasn't been Targeted yet none of the bonuses will apply until attack number 2 when Taskmaster becomes targeted by the beam attack?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 6:03 PM, DanLeCull said:

First off I need to understand how the beam attack sequence actually plays out, is it;

A- All three are selected as targets in step 2a of the attack chart?

OR

B- The attack chart breaks off into three different instances (one for each character) so the attacker then goes to step 2a for target 1, resolve the attack for that character, then come back around to step 2a for the second target, so on and so forth?

Not exactly either, but most closely your option B. The idea is correct, just not the step numbers as a beam attack reorders things.

The characters in range are all "locked in" when the template is placed, but they are not targeted yet. You pick a particular character that is in range, targeting it and continuing the attack sequence.

Once the above gets clarified I then need to understand when exactly I am allowed to play Sacrifice

In scenario A, I am allowed to play Sacrifice during step 2d. after all three characters have been targeted simultaneously correct?

In scenario B, I have to wait until the character I want to sacrifice for becomes the target of the beam attack and then play Sacrifice during that attacks' step 2d correct?

Ignoring the step numbers as mentioned above, its your option B. You play sacrifice when the specific attack against the character you want to play it for is occurring

Now for the doozey of a question,

Both Photographic Reflexes  and Intuitive Pattern Recognition stipulate that "If the attacker has already targeted (Step 2a) this character with an attack this turn..." and " has already targeted (Step 2a) this character with an attack this turn..." respectively

These rules are actually checking Step 13 of the attack sequence

Does this mean that using Sacrifice to redirect an attack onto Taskmaster would;

in Scenario A, assuming the Sacrifice attack resolves before any other, does Photographic Reflexes get to roll 6 dice instead of 4 and did Pattern Recognition get to add 2 dice to the defense roll?

in Scenario B, assuming targets were in the following order 1-Nick Jr. 2-Taskmaster 3-Bucky, Sacrifice redirects Nick's attack to Taskmaster but since he hasn't been Targeted yet none of the bonuses will apply until attack number 2 when Taskmaster becomes targeted by the beam attack?

Scenario B is correct.