Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Rerolls and Shield of the Seraphim

I apologize in advance for even asking this, but I am unable to find actual wording in the rules or within my own vocabulary to resolve this question in a definitive manner. 

My opponent is using the Eye of Agamotto on Doctor Strange after shooting Bolts of Bedevilment at an enemy character. The initial roll for Bolts contained at least one Shield result.

Using Shield of the Seraphim, she picks up all her dice and rolls them again. The rerolled dice also come up with at least one Shield.

How much Power does Doctor Strange get?

1. One. It does not matter if only the reroll had a Shield or if only the initial roll had a Shield. "At least one" die, overall between the two rolls, had a Shield, so one Power is gained.

2. Two. Under the rule for Shield of the Seraphim, she gets one Power "whenever" Strange rolls dice, so he gets one on the dice rolled in the initial Bolt, and one for the dice rolled in the rerolled result. After all, "whenever" does not care if the dice rolled were in a reroll or not. Dice were rolled twice and a Shield was present in each roll.

Now, what if the only Shield rolled was in the initial roll? If the reroll contained no Shields, would Strange get Power the moment the initial roll, which got rerolled, was evaluated? After all, there were dice rolled ("whenever"), and at least one Shield came up. We understand that Strange would not gain the power until the effect (which is Bolts) gets resolved, but would he get it at that point?

Or, to put it another way, is there anything in the actual rules that says that rerolled dice have their initial rolls treated, essentially, as if they magically simply never happened?

57 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

How much Power does Doctor Strange get?

One. 

57 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Now, what if the only Shield rolled was in the initial roll? If the reroll contained no Shields, would Strange get Power the moment the initial roll, which got rerolled, was evaluated?

Doctor Strange will gain zero power In that scenario.

Doctor Strange will gain power if the dice roll has a Block “after the effect is resolved”. This is a specific timing window. For attacks, it is step 14a or 14b depending on if Doctor Strange is attacking or defending. The initial roll, rerolls, and modifications that may happen on the way to step 14 are not tracked. When you get to the “after the effect is resolved” step of the timing, that’s when the current dice are evaluated to determine if a Block is present. 

• Thoras locked this topic