Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Squad Affiliation Choice

Hey, so just a little confusion regarding leadership and affiliation. From what I've gathered from the forum and rule book it should go something like this;

1. Make your squad in secret. Your squad must be equal to or less than the threat determined by the player without priority.

2. Pick your affiliation

3. Pick tactics cards, you may pick tactics that are affiliated

4. Reveal 

5. Deploy

6. After deployment choose a leadership if you have multiple leaders of the same affiliation. 

The problem I see with this is that at no point do you declare affiliation, so if someone chose 5 unaffiliated team tactics cards they could in theory determine affiliation after deployment which I think is against the spirit of the game. If however they were to declare affiliation before choosing tactics cards the opponent could choose their tactics cards knowing what affiliation they're playing. How should the "squad building phase" be played? 

• 2 months later...

As written it flows as this

Reveal roster

Roll priority

Select crisis

Select threat/board edge ( same timing?)

Select characters

At this point do I need to verbally announce my affiliation or is this not required?

Select tactics

Reveal squad 

Deploy

Announce leadership

So the questions involved above are 

1) is Select board edge and game threat the same timing 

2) do I have to verbally announce my affiliation before picking tactics, is this supposed to be open information for my opponent to know what affiliation I am picking before we decide our tactics.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, Cocde said:

Hey, so just a little confusion regarding leadership and affiliation. From what I've gathered from the forum and rule book it should go something like this;

1. Make your squad in secret. Your squad must be equal to or less than the threat determined by the player without priority.

2. Pick your affiliation

3. Pick tactics cards, you may pick tactics that are affiliated

4. Reveal 

5. Deploy

6. After deployment choose a leadership if you have multiple leaders of the same affiliation.

The steps you have listed are correct per the core rules.

When a given combination of characters and Team Tactic cards is able to create a squad with multiple affiliations, that player needs to pick one prior to revealing the squads so as not to gain an unfair advantage by declaring after seeing the opponent's squad.

Players may find it helpful to make a note of their chosen affiliation prior to reveal.

The game is a cooperative effort between two people and players should never seek to mislead their opponent or act in bad faith.

4 hours ago, Dyzard said:

1) is Select board edge and game threat the same timing

Select the threat level and then select the board edge

4 hours ago, Dyzard said:

do I have to verbally announce my affiliation before picking tactics, is this supposed to be open information for my opponent to know what affiliation I am picking before we decide our tactics

You do not have to announce your affiliation before picking tactics cards

• Thoras changed the title to Squad Affiliation Choice
  • Thoras locked this topic