Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Let me understand this better.

May something be "at" two different distances/ranges at the same time? It's not about any effect in particular, though the snipe question I asked before is related to this; I just try to elaborate a call on this issue in case any other scenario (not necessarily "snipe") arises.

In other words. If something needs an object to be "at distance/range x" (no minimum-maximun, just "at") and that object is partially on that band (x) but also partially on a closer band (x-1), does the object fulfill the requirement? Or it's always considered to be "at" the closer distance/range.

"At" like written looks like it's possible for something to be "at distance 3" and "at distance 4" at the same time; but it also looks to me like that would create unnecessary confusion around almost every game action.

<<As my cr90 is defending "at medium range" and "at long range" I chose to cancel a die with my evade token>>

I'm trying to settle an argument that has gone around and around almost half day long.

Hello!

May something be "at" two different distances/ranges at the same time? 
Or it's always considered to be "at" the closer distance/range.?

No.
Yes.
Please Review "Range and "Distance" topic in the Rules Reference Guide.

"• The lines on the ruler that divide two adjacent bands always count as part of the band closest to the bottom of the ruler."

Please review "MEASURING FIRING ARC AND RANGE" topic in the Rules Reference Guide.

To measure attack range from a ship, measure from the closest point of the attacking hull zone. To measure attack range to a ship, measure to the closest point of the defending hull zone. To measure attack range to or from a squadron, measure to or from the closest point of the squadron’s base.

When measuring attack range for a ship, ignore any portion of the defender that is outside the attacking hull zone’s firing arc, even if that portion is at a closer range.

When measuring attack range for a ship, ignore any portion of the defender that is outside the attacking hull zone’s firing arc, even if that portion is at a closer range.

• When measuring non-attack range or distance between two components, measure from the closest point of the first component to the closest point of the second component.

When measuring from one point to another, Something is either in medium range or long range, Distance 1 or Distance 2 at the point it is being measured. It cannot be both at the same time.

While this is not a rules issue, these questions get asked often enough that I will post this topic to help end any future confusion.