Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Push/Pull on Battlefield Contacting a Feature of Same Elevation

I very much appreciate the specificity of the rules-writing for this game. The Push/Pull rules on page 24 of the Core Rules are a good example of this.

I do have a situation that I can't seem to make sense of by those rules, however.

Per bullet point five, if an object on a terrain feature is Pushed or Pulled into a terrain part on that feature and at the same elevation, the object does not stop at the part.

However, if the exact same Push or Pull happens on the battlefield, the object stops.

I'm thinking of crates, in particular.

If the object is on a gantry (terrain part) and Pushed or Pulled into a crate terrain part) on that gantry, it keeps going through the crate. Again, per bullet point five.

But, on the battlefield (not a terrain part or feature) the exact same Push or Pull into the exact same crate would stop the movement, as per bullet point one because the crate is not on a terrain part, but rather the battlefield (and thus becomes a terrain feature instead of a terrain part on the same terrain feature as the moving object).

I'm struggling to make sense of why the rules seem to let Pushed objects go through crates on a flat gantry but not in a flat battlefield.

I'm probably overlooking something, though, so please help!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

I'm probably overlooking something, though, so please help!

It sounds like there is an assumption that because the crate is on the gantry, it has to be a part of the same terrain feature as the gantry.

Players are free to define the crates as a separate terrain feature if they want them to have the functionality of stopping a push or pull though.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:44 PM, Thoras said:

It sounds like there is an assumption that because the crate is on the gantry, it has to be a part of the same terrain feature as the gantry.

Players are free to define the crates as a separate terrain feature if they want them to have the functionality of stopping a push or pull though.

It's easy to imagine that one group of players treats crates as parts whereas another treats them as pieces. Players in each group get used to how the game is "supposed to be" played. Then they meet up and bam! disagreement. It's just such a bummer to have this be the case.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:17 AM, Sleboda said:

It's easy to imagine that one group of players treats crates as parts whereas another treats them as pieces. Players in each group get used to how the game is "supposed to be" played. Then they meet up and bam! disagreement. It's just such a bummer to have this be the case.

This is an example of why players need to discuss how terrain, both pieces and parts, will be handled before the game begins. If there is a disagreement, they need to find a way to reconcile this. An Arbiter may need to be called if this is at a Showdown event.