Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Are additional dice added in considered "defense dice" or "dodge dice"?

Hi Team,

Beast's "Stars and garters" and other abilities are reactive, with a trigger "after the player rolls defense or dodge dice". They often allow a player to modify or reroll a defense or dodge dice for each power spent.  As you also know, each reactive power can only be used once at each trigger point. 

My question is "how should we consider dice that are added as a result of a critical result?" There are 2 implications to this question:

1. Does rolling a dice in constitute a "defense dice" or "dodge dice" for Beast's "Stars and garters" (giving me a second opportunity to trigger the ability)?

2. Am I able to reroll the dice rolled in as a result of a critical result in my initial roll? 

An example of this is that Beast's "stars and garters" says the trigger is "when this character rolls defense or dodge dice", and the ability allows me to "reroll one of its defense of dodge dice". So if the additional dice rolled in from a critical IS a dodge dice, then I can trigger "stars and garters" a second time, and can reroll the dice rolled in from a critical result, but if it is not an dodge dice, then not only can I not use it as a second trigger, but I also cannot reroll that extra dice.

I think we have often played that the initial roll ONLY is the dodge roll....however we have allowed the player to reroll the additional dice rolled in...which seems contradictory.

Follow up question, how would this apply to, for example, the wetworks leadership....is the dice rolled from a critical consider an attack roll and may I reroll it? This could apply to Shuri's upgrades (in the pre-update form), Baron Zemo's Strategic Genius, Kraven and heaps of other characters.

Thanks, 

Theo

The dice added as a result of critical dice in the initial roll are considered to be of the same type of dice as the initial roll, so yes, you are able to re-roll those dice.

No, you will not be able to trigger abilities worded as such off of the additional dice you roll in as a result of critical dice because that wording is referring to timing steps in either the attack or dodge timing sequences and the dice added as a result of critical dice happens at a later timing step in all cases.

After rolling attack dice refers to Step 6 of the Attack Timing

After rolling defense dice refers to Step 7 of the Attack Timing

After rolling dodge dice refers to Step 2 of the Dodge Timing

Just to clarify based on chat in a messanger group.

Baron Zemo's card says this character "may reroll 1 dice in their attack or defense rolls". Again, I assume this means he cannot re-roll a dice added in by a critical result, because step 6 of the timing chart clearly states what the attack roll is. 

The additional dice rolled by a critical are not added to the attack / defense roll, but they are counted in step 10, calculate success or failure?

However, Dr Strange's Eye of Agamotto says he may "reroll all of its attack or defense dice..." not "reroll all the dice in his attack or defense roll". It seems a pretty specific distinction, which again speaks to my initial questions about defining the difference between defense dice and what step 7 defines as "the defense roll".

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Horeath said:

I assume this means he cannot re-roll a dice added in by a critical result

This would be an incorrect assumption. Dice added via Critical results become part of the roll. 

On 11/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Horeath said:

The additional dice rolled by a critical are not added to the attack / defense roll, but they are counted in step 10, calculate success or failure?

They are added to the roll so they are counted in step 10.