Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Allied "Bow" Effects vs Terrain

If you use a "bow" effect with a larger than small tool such as [ttc]Deception and you wish to have the affected character (without flying) traverse over a larger terrain, does the character still use its movement tool or use a small (climb)?

I am guessing the latter. It probably happens the same as if an effect was not used.

Edited by Artisan

• Artisan changed the title to Allied "Bow" Effects vs Terrain

It all depends on how the effect is allowing you to move the character.

If you are told to Advance the character(such as your example of Deception), you can use the movement tool for its speed or smaller, but you can not cross terrain larger than your size unless you have some other rule like wall crawler or flight.

Doing so would be performing a Climb and the game effect did not provide you the ability to perform a climb, it provided you the ability to Advance the character.

This is for both friendly and enemy effects. Whether you have a superpower allowing you to advance an enemy character or you have an attack special rule allowing you to advance after the attack, you can’t turn that into a climb.

Your reply was as expected when mentioning flight or wallcrawler. Thank you. Although I am a bit confused by your mention of "the game effect did not provide you the ability to perform a climb".

Do we need explicit permission to perform a climb action when using an advancement ability (ie Charge or Deception)? It makes sense based on what you said "you can use the movement tool for its speed or smaller" to just turn it into a climb if neccessary or does that mean until the mini contacts a terrain of larger size? I thought changing to a small was just automatic if you wished to proceed not something you needed permission for.

For clarity I was referring to advancing. There definitley would be no need to use a different range tool if it were a place effect.

Edited by Artisan
I thought changing to a small was just automatic if you wished to proceed not something you needed permission for.

23 minutes ago, Artisan said:

Do we need explicit permission to perform a climb action when using an advancement ability (ie Charge or Deception)?

In short, yes. What you can do depends on what the effect is providing you. The two effects you mention provide entirely different permissions.

Charge superpowers generally provide you a move action. A move action can be an advance or a climb.

Deception allows you to advance a character. That has to follow the rules for an advance, which allow you to use the tool matching the characters speed or a smaller one and prohibit the tool from overlapping terrain larger than the characters size.

If the tool crossed a piece of terrain larger than the character, you’d now be trying to perform a climb, which deception hasn’t given you permission to do.

• Thoras locked this topic