Welcome! ×
Atomic Mass Games Forum

Some questions about movement and when you can measure what

See the attached photo for clarity.

In this scenario, I have placed the short movement, and am moving Lockjaw. I have a few questions.

1) Is my use of the range tool here legal? Am I allowed to measure range in the middle of moving a model?

2) If I decide mid-movement that I don't want to move here after all (maybe there's some terrain or other models in the way and I can't fit) can I bend the end of the S tool to a new position?

3) If I want to change the position of the S tool entirely, can I put Lockjaw back down in his original position and rotate it to a new placement?

IMG_20210214_155457.jpg

1. No as it appears you are using the base as a measuring tool. Yes as you may use one of each tool at a time.

2. No. That would be using the base as a measuring tool. You would need to select a new location based on the movement tool's current position.

3. No. That would be using the base as a movement tool which is not allowed.

I'm a little confused about your answer to 1, since I intended them to be different wording of the same question. 🙂 Maybe it was unclear, but my intention here is to indicate that I am moving Lockjaw, and using the range-2 ruler in the middle of that move. I'm about to place him in his final spot after using a move action with him, not attempting to use his base as a measuring tool. In that case, is what I'm doing allowed?

Could I ask for a clarification on question 1?

My understanding of the picture is that its meant to show Lockjaw started his movement at the end of the short movement tool and he is being moved to be within range 1 of the objective token. So the measurements occurring are short move from Lockjaws original position and Range 1 from the objective. The player is then moving Lockjaw to be exactly range 1 away from the objective. That should be legal, shouldn't it?

As an additional question for number 2.

Is there any restriction on that new location? Or is it still anywhere on the tool? I.E. If I indicate I'm trying to move onto a piece of terrain and we find that my model can't fit or balance for some reason, am I required to place it as close to my original intended location as possible or can I pick anywhere on the tool based on where the tool currently sits?

On 2/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, Thoras said:

Could I ask for a clarification on question 1?

My understanding of the picture is that its meant to show Lockjaw started his movement at the end of the short movement tool and he is being moved to be within range 1 of the objective token. So the measurements occurring are short move from Lockjaws original position and Range 1 from the objective. The player is then moving Lockjaw to be exactly range 1 away from the objective. That should be legal, shouldn't it?

As an additional question for number 2.

Is there any restriction on that new location? Or is it still anywhere on the tool? I.E. If I indicate I'm trying to move onto a piece of terrain and we find that my model can't fit or balance for some reason, am I required to place it as close to my original intended location as possible or can I pick anywhere on the tool based on where the tool currently sits?

@Zetan I’m focusing on this post because it covers your question and more. 

1. The photo makes it appear like Lockjaw will be moved back after measuring the range 1 from the token. That wouldn't be allowed. If the intention of your photo is the range 1 is already in place before moving Lockjaw that would be okay.

2. You may pick anywhere on the tool.